Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Unpopularity, Lack of Money and Frustration.

I'm reading this fantastically thought provoking book at the moment, brought for me by the wonderfully read Nicole Williams, "The Consolations of Philosophy". I'm in the midst of the third chapter, "Consolation for Frustration", after reading "Consolation for Unpopularity" and "Consolation for Not Having Enough Money". Obviously, this book was written for someone just like me to read :)

I shall share some of the wisdom of the book with y'all now:

"Though the terrain of frustration may be vast- from a stubbed toe to an untimely death- at the heart of every frustration lies a basic structure: the collision of a wish with an unyielding reality."


"Consolation for Not Having Enough Money" is definitely my favourite chapter so far. It explores connections between money and happiness. Yeah, it turns out there aren't too many connections. So my future isn't so bleak after all! It's so obviously true though, I was a happy child while my dad was studying- living on the basics ain't a curse. Happyness is in freedom, relationships and thought.



x